So, for Valentine's Day, Daniel and I decided to buy Tyler a fish. He loves "Finding Nemo" and when we are at a house with fish, he loves to watch them, so what better way to say "I love you" than get him something that he likes, right? In theory, that is correct.
Now, understand that as a novice at taking care of pets, I was as excited for the project as Tyler was. Fish are easy to take care of, they just sit there and don't really do anything. You don't have to walk them, you only have to feed them twice a day, etc., etc., and so forth. I have had fish in the past (okay, I was really young and my mom took care of them), but they were fun and I enjoyed watching them, so of course I was all for Tyler having his own fish.
Friday night, we went to Wal-Mart (first mistake, I'm sure) and got the fish. We should have had an inkling that the future didn't bode well for Tyler's first pet when the guy helping us opened the tank and there were NO LESS than eight dead fish floating around. But, they are only $0.10 each, so it was worth a shot (these are goldfish, by the way, not some sort of rare angel fish or anything). We picked out the prettiest one and for the rest of the evening, Tyler kept pointing to the fish and saying "Mee-mo! Dory! Fish! FISH! FISH!!!" He was extremely excited for this one!
The purchase happened at 7:30 pm on Friday, February 13th. We came home from a party at 4:45 the next day and discovered a dead Mee-mo. Yeah, not even 24 hours. I don't know if that's some sort of record, but I still claim that it wasn't anywhere NEAR long enough for my bad karma with fish to have kicked in....
This morning, when the fish still wasn't in the bowl, Tyler kept asking me where it was, so I finally had to explain that the Fish went to see Heavenly Father. Typical of Tyler, he looks at me, says "oh," and goes on with life. Good thing that didn't scar him or anything!
Anyway, wherever you are in that giant fishbowl in the sky, we miss you, Fish.
p.s. note the lack of picture. This fish didn't even live long enough for me to get a picture! sheesh...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
How tragic! I'm so sorry! So, are you going to try again or one strike's out? I don't blame you either way I'm just nosey.
We'll try again, although I think we may go higher-end fish this time. Y'know, from an actual pet store... I can't figure out if I'm a habitual fish killer if I keep getting fish with a limited lifetime warranty.
At least he didn't off himself by jumping out of the bowl, right? No suicidal fish here!
I had NO idea you were pregnant until I got on your blog and saw your countdown. That is so exciting. Your Luker family is growing fast!! When are you due?
I'm so excited for you. I hope you are feeling good!!
Post a Comment