Okay, so my hubbie and I have found a new pasttime to do around this time of year--Welcome to the SCRIPPS NATIONAL SPELLING BEE 2008!!! We recorded the finals and like to watch them as we put Tyler to sleep. By watch, I mean that we take turns closing our eyes and trying to spell the word. There are some seriously messed up words! Holy cow! By the way, we would be terrible spellers. These 11 year olds SMOKE our action!
Anyway, last night was day 3 of this, and my word was "Nietzschean" (relating to the philosophies of Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche)and Daniel, believing that I had no chance, said that if I got this right, he would give me $50. Shopaholic that I am, that seemed like a great deal, especially because, if I got it wrong, I didn't have to give him anything. bwahahaha*cough*. So, I took him up.
Little did he know, however, that I took 5 years of German, so that puts me in the category that I SHOULD know a little bit of how to spell the dern language. The second letter in an "ie" or "ei" combination is what is spoken (so "ie" would be said "e" and "ei" would be "i". Blah, blah, blah, I'm sure that you all care about this, but this is what is going on in my head, so deal with it! :) Back to the show.) I also had taken 11th grade English with Mrs. Zuhl, so I had heard already of Nietzsche in the "superman" theory. Hooray for Crime and Punishment discussions!
So, I am sitting there, quinking thietly about all of this, and I run into a dilemma. Is it Nietzsche? or Nietzche? Typically, I chose the latter and did not win my $50. *sniff* Since I was so close, I just wanted to cry! I think there should be a new rule: I win.
Anyway, it was sad, but at least we got to see this! This is the winner, by the way, so go Sameer!
Thursday, June 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
I watched some of that too and the kids were cute. Sorry to hear about your loss. :(
On a side note, that guy Tom Bergeron hosts everything! Is anyone else getting a little tired of seeing him? I guess it's his lifelong career. Do people go to college for that? That'd be funny. I wonder when it is a person decides that's what they want to be when they grow up. It's like you have to have the right look and the right amount of suttle, dry humor in your personality to pull it off.
This is kind of a long comment/rant. Uh, ...."Shut it off!"
Post a Comment